EMI: No more DRM. Yay? Nay?
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the EMI decision to drop DRM from ther iTunes sold music?
From what I’m reading, here’s the opinions so far:
- “It’s about time”
- More choice for the consumer
- Others will follow soon
- Higher bitrate = good for audiophiles
- This is just a ploy to get an extra quarter for each song sold
- EMI is small fry, this is their desparate last-chance to stay above water.
- Dangerous as if EMI fails, this will slow down the rest of the industry from adopting DRM-free product
I think I’m leaning towards the ‘yay’ side of things. I’ve slowly been trying to ween myself off of iTunes in favor of eMusic. But iTunes is still so much easier to use. I’d gladly pay a few extra cents for not having to deal with DRM.
Some other intereting takes on the announcement: